Thursday, January 1, 2009

The Education of the Year 2008

Kirk asked me this question a couple of days ago. "What has this year taught you?" I couldn't really give him an answer right then so I've been thinking ever since. Then yesterday, I had a morning news program on where they were interviewing a psychologist about New Year Resolutions. She caught my attention when she said that you need to review what you learned this year before you make new goals for 2009. Kirk is so smart!!!



Here's some things that I've learned in the year 2008:
  • We have a responsibility to the people who surround us, whether they be neighbors, friends, church members, or those we involve ourselves with in the community. Not only to be a good example to them, as we always think, but also, to learn from them. This year has taught me that when we are judgemental and critical of those around us, we limit ourselves from learning FROM THEM what WE need to learn. When we only notice negativity in others, we will not see the positive things about them. We all have different strengths. As we notice and "emulate" the strengths we see in those around us, we become more than what we could have become otherwise.

  • Taking time to recharge my batteries is vital for me and my family. Sometimes this year I would not be ready to walk out my door until 11:00 a.m. By the time I worked out, tidied up the house, did some personal scripture study and reading, it was almost lunchtime. At first, I felt very guilty and "lazy." Then I realized with the hectic afternoon and evening schedules that currently occupy our family life, it was my only time to "fill up my reservoir." This year has taught me that investing some time in myself and my needs allows me to be a better mother and wife for the rest of the day (and night).

  • Teenagers still need a lot of structure. Now that Cole has also embarked into the teenage years, we feel like our family life has morphed into another dimension. What "dimension" that is, I cannot say. I only know that we are only at the beginning and it will probably, at times, be a rough ride (for us and them). This year has taught me that if parenting weren't a full-time job before, it definitely will be now. As parents, we need to be diligent in "filling up our children's spiritual reservoirs" everyday as well as helping them to see through the many worldly deceptions around them. The tricky part is slowly letting them do this themselves more and more as they get older. It is not easy and I may need medication as to avoid them having memories of a crazy mother!



  • This probably goes along with the above point, but this year, especially, has taught me how quickly my children are growing and how little time I have left to raise them. I guess we never really know how much time we will have here on earth, but most of us will have approximately 18 years of "exclusivity" with our children, to teach them how to have successful lives. This year I have realized that one of the main things to try and teach my family is how to incorporate spiritual habits and truths into their everyday, very busy lives. As I have learned, perhaps the hard way, the sooner these things become habits, the more a natural part of your life it becomes.
  • And, finally, this year has taught me AGAIN, that the more I give my will over to my Savior, and do what HE wants me to do, the happier I am. I find I am more in tune with spiritual needs of myself and those around me. I hope that this last year I have gotten better at this. It is hard to gauge because I know I had some highs, but also some lows.

I guess if I look at this past year in terms of what I was taught, it was a successful year. I hope I learned all that was meant for me to learn. Good thing there's another year just ahead. I need the time to have another go at it. One other thing that morning show psychologist said about New Year Resolutions: She said to call them "intentions," instead of "goals." She said to ask yourself, "what do I INTEND to accomplish this next year?" I like that approach and plan to follow-through with that line of thinking.

Stay tuned for my "2009 INTENTIONS"...

2 comments:

TamiE said...

Hi Carol. I love your blogspot, thanks for sending the link with your Crhistmas card. I look forward to keeping in touch better, you've got to love the internet! Your family is beautiful, I'm amazed at how they've all grown. I also loved your insights into 2008, especially "intentions" for the new year. I'm 10 years ahead of you in raising my family, and sorry to say, it hasn't slowed down! Tell Kirk hs time on the soocer league board may be over, but it will quickly be replaced by something else! Happy New Year to you and yours! Tami England

D-dawg said...

I can't believe I never commented on this one. I liked it. It is true- everything you said. And it's so good to look back and evaluate the year and see how much you've grown. I'm working on trying to write things down from last year so I won't forget it. I mean the personal stuff- not the stuff I put on my blog.