"Running is a big question mark that's there each and every day. It asks you, 'Are you going to be a wimp or are you going to be strong today?'"
My ideal morning is when I get the kids out the door to school, put on my running clothes, and go out into a beautiful sunny day for a run. It is a luxury I enjoy as a stay-at-home mom. It is my prozac. It keeps me in balance, reminds me of the beauty of my surroundings, and makes me feel strong, like the quote above.
However, my mood starts out, it is always improved with the run. I guess it is a gift your body gives you for putting in the effort. It is a euphoric feeling once you hit your stride. Combine that with some good music and it’s a great way to start out the day. Lately my favorite songs to run to are ABBA’s “Momma Mia,” and “Human” by the Killers.
I’m not a professional and can’t boast any marathon finishes (yet-?). I have run a few races and hope to do more. I am slow. I don’t care who beats me. I am my own competition. Here is my favorite trail. It runs just behind my house!
There is a retirement community nearby and in the morning the trail is full of older people walking their dogs. There is one old man who walks his dog who gives me a high five in the morning and says, “hello trail buddy.”
My dad got me running. We would walk over to my high school track and run around the track. He was slow and steady. I ran in college. Provo was my health club. In the snow, I could be found at the Smith Fieldhouse. Kirk and I’s first “dates” were there, running together. Kirk first told me I was beautiful on a run through the streets of Provo. We enjoy running together. Maybe someday we will run a race together?
Here is another run I like to go on. It has a couple of big hills. I try to run these hills at least once a week. When I complete the run, I feel strong and ready to take on any challenge. While I am running up the steepest of the hills, I say to myself, “I am 41, I can do this!” When I get to the top, I celebrate by raising up my arms and cheering to myself (I check to make sure there are no cars close by).
It doesn’t look too steep, but for a 41-year old—it is! Once I get to the top, I am rewarded with a beautiful view of my city with a nice, flat span and then a gentle, downward slope around a golf course.
"There are clubs you can't belong to, neighborhoods you can't live in, schools you can't get into, but the roads are always open." – Nike
4 comments:
Carol, I read the best blog about running yesterday (Robin's nest, on my sidebar). In it she describes how she loves the pounding of running and I thought about it the entire time i was running today! Your route is cool. Great post
Hi Carol. Remember our early morning walks on Juanita Ave? This post reminded me of those times. I, too, enjoy the way running makes me feel. I'm a better person after having run, or lifted weights, or practiced yoga, etc. Movement is magic. Anyway, keep movin' and groovin'! I enjoy reading your blog and receiving your Christmas cards every year. Your family is beautiful. My how they've grown! Be well. - Carolyn D.
That is a great post-i would love to work up to a marathon (or maybe 1/2 to start). if you want to train at the same time we could and then bryan and i and the kids could take a trip out there and you and i could run one together?? just an idea.
Carol I liked this post. Were you always able to run, even when your kids were little? I want to run everyday and I think about it every morning but with Macey hanging around it is hard to find the right time. I think it's awesome that you go everyday and you're right it is so good for you and makes you feel strong and awesome! Keep up the good work.
Post a Comment