Thought #1:
Yesterday, while driving Cole to baseball practice, I endeavored to ask him about his first day back to school after break. I say “endeavor” because getting information out of my 13-year old son lately is, shall we say, challenging. There must be a book about how to ask questions the right way, and I need to find it, because I’m obviously doing something wrong. To get anything out of him, other than the word, “good,” is impossible. So, like any good mother, I went down the list of his classes, asking about each individually. I got my information, but it was still a stripped down, basic version.
My problem, of course, is that Cole has an older sister, my first child. It all became clear to me after I dropped Cole off at practice and then returned to pick up Lauren from her Track practice. I asked Lauren the same question about school and, in turn, received a 10-minute answer, which included, not only how she felt about each teacher and subject matter, but also her goals for the semester, which include getting a 4.0 grade point average.
I had to laugh at the stark difference in the experience with each child. I’m sure this is a typical difference between girls and boys. It is such a challenge to try to connect with each child and make sure, as a parent, you are building them up and not comparing them to each other. I have a ways to go with Cole. Will I ever get another answer besides, “good?”
Thought #2:
The week before break, I drove my children 32 times during a one-week period to various places, for various things. I am now facing this schedule again. I don’t like it and it makes me grumpy. Something needs to change and I don’t think the answer is to hire another driver!
Thought #3:
Lauren doesn’t like piano or her teacher. She literally doesn’t have time to practice or enjoy it one bit. I always said I would force my children to do music. It was Satan’s plan when it came to that. I want them to be able to have those skills (I never had the opportunity). But now I am reconsidering. Maybe I could let her stop (quit)? But, the problem is that Cole would want to quit also. Cole needs music. He has the time and he has more of a natural ability.
Thought #4:
That’s enough thoughts! I’m tired of thinking! My head already hurts enough from all these darned allergies! Kirk was laughing at my allergy “cocktail” I have conjured up. I have skillfully combined the best pharmaceuticals available to ensure I am sufficiently in a permanent state of fogginess until around June! Happy pollination!
5 comments:
I got my allergy meds out today too. Baseball game = sneezes.
Is this the part where we get to have opinions?
No on Lauren quitting. You made me make Max go back and I'm happy about it. She can stick it out a couple of more years. Maybe you should send her to Max's cheaper and more laid back teacher.
You drive so many places. Maybe we should make our kids walk more.
I say hang in there with music. Even a bit of knowledge is better than nothing. Even my "poor" skills aided me on my mission and also in my home.
I hear you on the getting information from boys...actually some boys actually tell you everything, and some just keep it all upstairs in their head...Good luck, I haven't figured it out yet either.
Petunia's party was so incredibly cute. Thanks for the invite
You know its funny because some times I think Jaden and Madisen got their sexes mixed up. When I read things like this blog or hear people talk about what their kids do or don't do it seems like Madisen is always the "boy" and Jaden is the "girl". Should I be concerned?
Carol, I think you should let her quit. If her heart isn't in it she probably won't improve much over the next few years anyway. Tell Cole he can't quit until he's her age, and then if he still wants to quit then and you don't want him to, tell him no and that life isn't fair. Seriously though my mom never let us quit, and the ones that wanted to are not good at piano after all those lessons and money. The ones who liked it then are good now and can play.
Post a Comment