If someone were to say to me, "Oh, you're just like your mom," I would have to say, "thanks so much," because for me, there could be no greater compliment.
I hope I am just like my mom. Here's why...
Linda Mae was a small-town Pennsylvania girl (a very fashionable, small-town girl). Her husband (my DAD) went away to Vietnam just after my birth. She raised me by herself until I was two years old. She was just 20 years old! I hope I could have the courage and strength to do something like that!
Then when I was 5, my parents moved to the other side of the country, away from small-town life. I think that took a lot of guts for my mom to leave all our extended family and follow my Dad and his career. It also allowed some other wonderful thing to happen to my family...
In California, Linda Mae listened to two-Mormon missionaries and she and I were baptized. My Dad wasn't too sure about this, but after decades of prayers by my faithful mother, his heart was touched also. I marvel at the strength of her conviction. I hope I have the strength to stand up and change my life like my mother did.
I also hope that as I get older I will be as willing to grow and learn as I have seen my mother (and father) do. When Michael was well into school, Linda Mae went back to school. Working and working MANY years to get-not only her bachelor degree--but also her masters!
Once, someone really wonderful told me a secret about my mom: "You have a saintly mother..." I'd have to agree with that! And add, because of the many wise, wonderful, and brave things my mom has done, I have been blesssed with THIS in my life...
AND ALL THIS!!!
So, I hope someday someone will say to me, "You're just like your mom."
I will know I'm right on track!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY MOM AND GRANDMA!
Your "saintly" influence will be felt for generations to come!






2 comments:
That was so sweet. And you are awesome just like your mother.
Carol, this was so sweet and made me want to be more positive about becoming like my mother!
Post a Comment